Our Tofu Breakfast Scramble recipe is a twist on traditional scrambled eggs. All you will need for this is some firm tofu, capsicums (aka bell peppers for our US Readers), mushrooms, onion, and a few spices that you’ll most likely have in the pantry. This is a simple meal to prepare, and it tastes great.
The thing that I love about this is that it is completely Vegan and keto friendly. I can’t think of a this dish that I start my day with more consistently than this, but it doesn’t have to stop there.
Whether you’re having an early start and breakfast, or a late sleep in and looking for a healthy brunch, this recipe is for you!
How do I make this Tofu Breakfast Scramble?
If you have ever made scrambled eggs (or the Vegan equivalent) then this dish should be quite simple. It is very much the same, but with added vegetables and spices. The extra added vegetables also provide for some more texture and flavor to really bring this dish to life!
Preparation – 15 minutes
Cooking – 25 minutes
- 400-450 grams of tofu, extra firm (higher fat tofu is better for keto, provided it is still low in carbohydrates)
- 1 clove of garlic – minced
- 1/2 cup of onion – diced
- 1/2 cup of green bell pepper (capsicum) – diced
- 1/2 cup of red bell pepper (capsicum) – diced
- 3/4 cup of mushrooms – chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
You will also need
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Large sauté pan
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Tofu press (as mentioned in our Spicy Scrambled Eggs recipe)
- Add 1/4 cup water to a large sauté pan on a medium heat.
- Once your pan is heated, and the water is bubbling, add in the onion.
- When the aroma releases from the onion and it begins to look translucent, add the garlic.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes, add your bell peppers and mushrooms and add an additional 1/4 cup of water if the ingredients are sticking to the pan.
- Cook for roughly 4 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands and add to your pan.
- Then add the turmeric while mixing it into the tofu.
- Add the remaining cumin powder, black pepper, and salt.
- Sauté for another 4-6 minutes until everything is cooked through.
Simply serve on a bed of fresh lettuce and baby spinach, or alternatively, check out our recipe for keto toast to have with this breakfast treat.
If you liked our Tofu Breakfast Scramble recipe, check out our recipes section for other creative ideas, including Keto Recipes, Dairy Free Recipes, Vegan Recipes and more.