This Lentil and Chickpea Moroccan Stew is a Vegan-friendly dish with an amazing aroma to compliment the delicious flavors. The dish is perfect for the cooler months, where the warmth of the broth and kick of spices creates a really hearty stew.
On top of delicious flavor, this dish is also protein-packed and high in fiber, making it nutritious and delicious. The stew is also gluten-free and can have several ingredients added to be made to your preference.
This Lentil and Chickpea Moroccan Stew can easily be adjusted to your liking. If you are not a fan of butternut squash (also known as pumpkin in some countries), you can substitute it out quite easily with sweet potato, carrots or even cauliflower.
Don’t like lentils or chickpeas? Simply swap them out for a legume of similar texture such as split peas or lima beans.
You can soak up the stew with some naan bread, or pour it over some of your favorite rice. Whether that is traditional rice or an alternative such as broccoli or cauliflower rice.
If you are not a Vegan, you can also add yogurt at the end (as a plant based option, coconut yogurt works really well too). If you eat meat, turkey is a great ingredient to pair with this dish.
On a side note, if you are a fan of delicious stews and curries, then you should check out our Keto and Vegan Baingan Bharta recipe!
This is another recipe that you can use to get some more Sea Moss into your day.
Lentil and Chickpea Moroccan Stew Recipe
Preparation – 15 minutes
Cooking – 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 medium white onion – chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic – minced (alternatively use garlic paste)
- 800 grams of crushed tomatoes
- 400 grams of chickpeas – rinsed and drained
- 4 cups of cubed butternut squash (also known as pumpkin)
- 1 cup of green lentils – rinsed thoroughly
- 2 and 1/2 cups of organic vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of Sea Moss gel
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt – preferably Celtic or Himalayan
- Ground black pepper for taste – fresh is better
- 1/2 a lemon – juiced
- 1/3 cup of chopped coriander
You will also need
- A large pot and lid
- Stirring spoon
- Cutting board
- A sharp knife
- Bowls for prepped ingredients
- A strainer for draining
- Heat your oil in your large pot over medium-high heat. Add your onion and garlic, then cook a few minutes until your onion is softened.
- Next, add in your cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 30 seconds or so until your spices are fragrant.
- Add your tomatoes, broth, lentils, chickpeas, butternut squash, and salt and pepper.
- Bring your mix to boil, then cover with your lid and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for around 20 minutes, or until your butternut squash is tender and your lentils are fully cooked.
- Stir in your lemon juice, sea moss and sprinkle with coriander and basil.
- Optional: serve with a dollop of yogurt.
For more ways that you can make Irish Moss Seaweed and other types of seaweed a part of your day, take a look at the growing list of Recipes we have here for you.
Last Updated on 2 months by D&C Editorial Team
2 thoughts on “Lentil and Chickpea Moroccan Stew”
I’ve been trying to subscribe to detox and cure but I don’t think it’s going through
Thank you for reaching out to us. I have sent you an email (hopefully it hasn’t gone into your email’s junk folder). I can see that you are in our Subscriber database. We only send out emails once a month unless there is something really important that we need to let our Visitors and Customers know about.
If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know.
Comments are closed.